Sunday 5 May 2013

Diva, Diamond, Dancers



Diva, Diamond, Dancers

I know Dance is, so important to all cultures and it is a universal language. I would like to say “Let us not forget, our dance family” All the teachers, dancers & mentors or those who inspire us. Our family works so well together through the discipline, team work and our spirit of love for the art form of dance.  We have to write our own stories, tell our own history, record and remember our own memories of the people & things that inspired us, our Diamonds. 

I remember one Diamond day coming back from class. I helped a blind man onto the train, as I took his hand he asked “What job do you do?....” I quickly asked myself what? job did, I do? Because I though Oh! DANCER but, that’s so visual what shall I say? Then I remembered I had come from a Martha Graham class. So, I began to explain how the body had to move with the intake of air, breath & contract on the exhale. How one could turn and the air would suck the body in, to tight positions and release it, so it could be free again. Tell stories, show technique, how to jump, move or just express the feeling you wanted to share.  I explained how the hand would shape like a cup but only big enough for a small drink of water. When it was his stop, to get off the train he thanked and told me” The next time, I listen to music, I’ll listen in a different way now, I’ve met a Dancer ”



No comments:

Post a Comment